The Forum's mentoring project

The Forum's mentoring project

Friday 27 September 2013

Introducing...The Refuge!

Thanks so much to Aabdeen for telling us all about the The Forum's special new project, The Refuge.


On Sunday, 15th September, I, along with other members of MRCF, decorated the office to run our new project, The Refuge. 

The Refuge is a safe space at our community centre in North Kensington, where migrants and refugees can come and relax, learn new skills, and discuss if they want to become volunteers. Members can gather here to practice social participation and inclusion, develop trust, and discuss ways to engage in active citizenship. 

On Sunday, I drew and painted a tree on the wall inside The Refuge. Instead of having apples on the branches, we decided to have photo frames to hang instead, which will have images of the different issues. 

I made small tables as well, from coffee beans and blue beads. To stick the beads and beans down, I first glued the table surface and then arranged the beans and beads in a pattern. I also painted part of one of the walls yellow and cream. There were a lot of books inside the room which we had to move outside, which automatically made the room look more spacious. 

We then had lunch, and this was a good time to catch up with other members of MRCF who were also helping out. 

During the day I took photos, which I showed to my friends outside of MRCF. They were really interested in them and said that they wanted to come and see The Refuge. 

Overall, I had a really fun day with my friends from MRCF while creating The Refuge.









No comments:

Post a Comment